Bernard Tomic says he has placed himself into self isolation after showing symptoms of coronavirus.
The 27-year-old says he locked himself away in Miami after feeling sick last week.
Australia’s former highest ranked player has told The Herald Sun he has “all the symptoms” for the global virus that has brought Australian sport to its knees.
Tomic earlier this month competed in the ATP Challenger Tour event in Monterrey, Mexico, before travelling back to the United States for the Miami Open, which was cancelled by the ATP Tour last week.
Tomic says he believes he caught the virus symptoms during travel.
He is yet to be tested for coronavirus but has taken the steps to self isolate anyway.
“Since Tuesday, started feeling not right,” Tomic said.
“I already had shortness of breath and my immune system was low and run down.
“I’m currently in Miami and isolated away from everyone, as advised.
“I’m yet to be tested for it (COVID-19) but I have all the symptoms.”
Bernard Tomic has put himself off limits.Source:Getty Images
“I reckon I got it travelling from Mexico to Monterrey last week.
“People need to take this super seriously, especially at home in Australia.
“I don’t know how long I’ll be in isolation or when I can be tested.”
Since the Australian Open, Tomic has also competed at ATP events in New York, Florida and Dallas.
The ATP Tour announced last week it was suspending the men’s tennis tour for six weeks “due to escalating health and safety issues” arising from the coronavirus pandemic.
All events on the ATP Tour and second-tier ATP Challenger Tour are cancelled until April 27.
The announcement came shortly after the cancellation of the Miami Open, which followed the axing of Indian Wells and postponement of the Fed Cup finals.
The joint ATP and WTA tournament in Miami, one of the biggest to be held outside the four Grand Slams, had been due to start with qualifying on March 23 until the mayor of Miami-Dade County pulled the plug.
Boom, boom.Source:News Corp Australia
The Women’s Tennis Association, however, says it needs more time to make informed decisions amid the coronavirus pandemic and is yet to formally cancel its upcoming tournaments.
The WTA, which runs the women’s tour, initially said it would not follow the ATP before cancelling tournaments in Charleston, Guadalajara and Bogota.
“The WTA has an obligation to its members (both players and tournaments) to provide playing opportunities and we feel it’s best if we can offer a bit more time to see if such playing opportunities can take place,” a WTA spokeswoman said on Saturday.
The next WTA tournaments start on April 20 in Stuttgart and Istanbul, marking the start of the European clay court season.
— with AAP, AP
Source: Read Full Article