World No.2 Daniil Medvedev is facing the prospect of being banned from Wimbledon after the All England Club reportedly decided to bar Russian entrants from this year's tournament.
The involvement of Medvedev and that of his compatriots has been a hot topic of conversation since Russia's invasion of Ukraine, with many sporting bodies taking sanctions against Russian athletes.
In tennis, the ATP, WTA and ITF have so far allowed Russian and Belarusian players to continue competing under a neutral flag and without a national anthem.
But, according to Sportico, the All England Club have now decided Russian stars will not be permitted to play at Wimbledon. It is unclear whether players from Belarus would be included in the ban.
UK Sports Minister Nigel Huddleston has previously said the government would support entities that choose to ban Russian athletes, adding that competitors should denounce president Vladimir Putin and sign a declaration stating that they do not support his regime.
If the ban is enforced, Medvedev will be joined by World No.8 Andrey Rublev and lower-ranked stars Karen Khachanov and Aslan Karatsev in missing Wimbledon.
On the women's side, Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova, Daria Kasatkina and Veronika Kudermetova would miss out.
Belarusian players Aryna Sabalenka and Victoria Azarenka are two of the biggest names on the women's circuit and their involvement is also up in the air.
LTA chief Steve Lloyd said earlier this month: "We are in very close dialogue with the All England Club, the government, with the tours.
"We are very conscious of public sentiment in this area. We are trying to navigate what that needs to look like in the summer events in Britain this year."
Wimbledon is scheduled to begin on June 27.
Source: Read Full Article