Newcastle chief Amanda Staveley makes exciting transfer promise in Magpies squad meeting

Premier League managerial departures so far this season

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Newcastle goalkeeper Martin Dubravka has revealed that he and his team-mates have been promised by shareholder Amanda Staveley that a number of reinforcements will be signed in the January transfer window. The Magpies are expected to be heavily backed in the mid-season market after their controversial Saudi-backed takeover was finally completed last month.

The consortium in question is understood to be worth in excess of £300billion thanks to the involvement of Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund.

The new owners completed their first major task in appointing a new permanent manager on Monday, with Eddie Howe signing a two-and-a-half-year agreement at St James’ Park.

He will be desperate to use the transfer market to his advantage in January as Newcastle aim to build on their disappointing start to the campaign and achieve Premier League survival.

The Tyneside outfit are yet to win a single league match this season and look set for a closely-fought relegation scrap between now and next summer.

It seems as though Howe will be given the required backing at the turn of the year, with Staveley explaining to Newcastle’s squad during a team meeting that January will be a busy month, according to Dubrakva.

JUST IN: Chelsea and Newcastle target Eden Hazard’s ‘fate is sealed’

The Magpies goalkeeper also revealed that upgrades to the training ground are being planned as Newcastle’s ownership group look to usher the club into a brand new era.

“The new management came to see us, and expressed their great support,” Dubravka told sport.sk.

“They outlined some short-term plans to us, and I can tell you that they are planning to rebuild the training centre, which is the first goal so far. 

“Of course, some reinforcements should come in January. It was positive for me that they came to us, and said plainly how things were. 

“They wanted to bring in a new coach, and I think this should be an announced change in the coming days.

“It’s positive for me that they communicate with us every day, and they are also often in the training centre.”

It remains to be seen which players Howe will look to recruit in January as he looks to stamp his own authority on Newcastle’s dressing room.

The Magpies have already been linked with a number of high-profile names, including the likes of Barcelona playmaker Philippe Coutinho and Porto winger Luis Diaz.

FOLLOW OUR NEW DAILY EXPRESS SPORT INSTAGRAM PAGE

Howe admitted that he will be looking to make plenty of changes at Newcastle shortly after his appointment was officially confirmed on Monday.

“It is a great honour to become head coach of a club with the stature and history of Newcastle United,” the new boss told the club website.

“It is a very proud day for me and my family. This is a wonderful opportunity, but there is also a lot of work ahead of us and I am eager to get onto the training ground to start working with the players.

“I would like to thank the club’s owners for this opportunity and thank the club’s supporters for the incredible welcome they have already given me.

“I am very excited to begin our journey together.”

Source: Read Full Article