Rangnick reflects on first win as Man Utd manager
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Manchester United have been turned down by Gerhard Struber but they were reluctant to pay a compensation fee to bring him to Old Trafford, reports say. Ralf Rangnick is close with the New York Red Bulls coach. However, he’ll now have to look elsewhere when it comes to hiring a new assistant.
Manchester United have seen two powerful figures leave Old Trafford in recent weeks.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was sacked as manager last month, less than 24 hours after a chastening defeat to Watford at Vicarage Road.
The second casualty was then Michael Carrick, with the former midfielder walking away shortly after seeing the Red Devils beat Arsenal 3-2 last week.
Now, United are under the control of Rangnick.
The German has been given the keys to Old Trafford until the end of the season, with the club then planning to go after one of Mauricio Pochettino or Erik ten Hag.
The Sun say that United had been contemplating Struber to be Rangnick’s No 2 now that Carrick is no longer around.
THINK YOU KNOW SPORT? Test your sporting knowledge with our tricky quiz
Yet the Red Devils have been turned down by the current New York Red Bulls coach.
It’s also stated that United were reluctant to pay a compensation fee to the MLS side, too.
So with the club not wanting to spend, and Struber turning them down anyway, the Red Devils will have to look elsewhere.
American coach Chris Armas is expected to join United’s coaching staff in the next few days.
Struber, meanwhile, has confirmed there was a ‘request’ from the Red Devils that came his way.
Arteta can’t ignore glaring change needed at Arsenal
Man Utd staff conflicted over Ronaldo and Fernandes
Messi hits back at Barcelona over playing for free
“There has been a request,” he told Sky Sports.
“It’s no secret that Ralf Rangnick and us know and appreciate us well and appreciate very much.
“At the same time I have in New York, which also makes me look very hopefully into the future and therefore I do not want to give up with New York overnight.
“I have a longer-term contract there and still have a lot of goals with an ambitious team.”
Speaking before United’s win over Crystal Palace on Sunday, Rangnick confirmed he’d wanted Carrick to stay.
“Michael, I got to know this [decision] two days ago,” he said.
“I met with Michael and Kieran [McKenna] but especially with Michael two days ago.
“I had a long private conversation with him for more than an hour and I was trying to convince him to stay on board, but he had obviously taken that decision weeks ago that he needed a break and a rest after 30 years of professional football.
“In the end, I had to accept that, and in a way, I can also understand his decision.”
Rangnick also indicated that he was happy with United’s current coaches, too.
“I’m more than happy to work with the current coaching staff because I need their experience, I need their expertise regarding the current squad,” said the 63-year-old.
“I will obviously try to find one, two, maybe three people who can join us in the next one or two weeks but due to the Brexit regulations, it’s not that easy.
“Many of my former colleagues, no matter if it’s video analysts or assistant coaches are in long-term contracts with big clubs, so they are not available right now, so we have to be a little bit smart and clever and find the right people.
“I hope that we can get them in here in the next one or two weeks, but I cannot tell you anymore.”
Source: Read Full Article