Ice-cool McTominay caps dominant display as Man Utd reach FA Cup quarter-finals

Scott McTominay produced an ice-cool finish in sub-zero conditions to send Manchester United into the quarter-finals.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side needed extra-time to see off West Ham with substitute McTominay plundering the all-important goal – his third in as many games – to seal the tie.

In freezing conditions, with Old Trafford engulfed in a flurry of snow at one stage, Solskjaer's men ultimately edged a hard-fought contest, avoiding the lottery of a penalty shoot-out.

United made the breakthrough in the seventh minute of extra-time, substitute McTominay firing home from 12 yards out for his seventh goal of the season.

A swift break from United looked to have broken down when Fred's cross was headed away, but West Ham paid the price for their failure to clear the danger fully.

Marcus Rashford was quickest to react to the loose ball and executed a sublime first-time lay-off to McTominay, who applied an equally impressive clinical finish to drill the ball low past Fabianski.

Rashford, 23, became United's fourth youngest United player to reach 250 appearances, behind George Best, Norman Whiteside and Ryan Giggs, marking the milestone with a key contribution.

Get the latest news straight into your inbox!

It has been a hectic season so far – so make sure you don't miss a single thing by signing up for the brilliant new Mirror Football newsletter!

All the latest transfer news and big stories will land straight into your inbox. You won't miss out.

To sign up, put your email at the top of this article or follow the instructions on this link.

In a hard-fought encounter, the first chance fell to the home side after 11 minutes, Alex Telles playing in Anthony Martial, whose shot was blocked by Angelo Ogbonna, who was injured in the process.

Martial caught Ogbonna on the left ankle as he followed through, with the Hammers defender unable to carry on and replaced by Issa Diop.

United dominated possession early on and kept knocking on the door, Mason Greenwood's goal-bound effort blocked by Aaron Cresswell, as Solskajer's side continued to dominate.

In the 27th minute, Lucasz Fabianski produced a fine save down low to his left to turn away a header from Victor Lindelof, which was heading in via a deflection off Craig Dawson.

Cresswell produced a second vital block a minute later, to divert a shot from Donny van de Beek, as United turned the game into attack versus defence, Hammers tasked with a policy of containment.

When the visitors did get sight of the United goal, as they did just after the half-hour, they were thwarted, Telles racing across to execute a perfectly-timed challenge to dispossess Jarrod Bowen.

There was a clash of heads between Diop and Martial in the 37th minute, as the pair went for the ball at a West Ham corner. Both were able to carry on after treatment, but Diop did not emerge for the second-half.

Fabianski came to his side's rescue again in the second-half, saving from Rashford at point-blank range in the 52nd minute.

Solskjaer waited until the 73rd minute to make his first change, a double switch with Bruno Fernandes and Scott McTominay coming on.

Fernandes immediately injected some much-needed impetus into United's attack, but was unable to prevent the game from heading into extra-time.

But McTominay's early strike in the first period proved enough for United to see out the game, victory taking them into the last eight for the seventh year running and on course for a first trophy under Solskjaer.

Sign up to the Mirror Football email here for the latest news and transfer gossip.

Source: Read Full Article