Arsenal midfielder Granit Xhaka is close to agreeing a new contract with the club.
The 28-year-old’s current deal is up in 2023 with the player strongly linked with a move to Jose Mourinho’s Roma side this summer.
And despite Roma making offers to sign the Swiss midfielder, Arsenal’s valuation was never met by the Serie A side.
While it may appear to be a U-turn by Arsenal, it is thought boss Mikel Arteta never wanted to let Xhaka go having initially convinced him to stay in January 2020.
Arteta views the player, who started 29 Premier League games last season, as a key part of his plans moving forward.
Following Sunday’s pre-season friendly defeat to Chelsea in which Xhaka scored Arsenal’s goal, Arteta said: “Xhaka is staying. He wanted to play. He is a key player for us.”
More to follow…
Follow the Premier League with Sky Sports
- 128 exclusively live Premier League matches.
- First pick of matches for every weekend of the Premier League season.
- The best punditry team in football including Gary Neville, Jamie Carragher, Jamie Redknapp and Graeme Souness.
- New Saturday Night Football slots, presented by Kelly Cates, plus Friday Night Football, Super Sunday and Monday Night Football.
- In-game goals and clips for mobile devices from Sky Sports live matches.
- Extended highlights On Demand through Game of the Day and Match Choice.
- Find out more about Sky Sports
Source: Read Full Article