David Beckham reveals his new Inter Miami side may delay bringing in star player until the summer amid Edinson Cavani links as legendary owner poses with his players before MLS launch
- Inter Miami make their Major League Soccer debut this weekend
- David Beckham’s new MLS franchise face Los Angeles FC on Sunday
- They may now wait until the summer to bring in a third designated player
David Beckham insists he is happy with the squad at his disposal, despite Inter Miami failing to bring in a third designated player ahead of their Major League Soccer debut.
MLS’ newest franchise have already acquired Matias Pellegrini and Rodolfo Pizarro ahead of their opener against Los Angeles FC on Sunday.
Miami confirmed last month that they had held talks over a shock move for Edinson Cavani, only for him to remain at PSG until the end of the season, while Luka Modric has also been targeted.
David Beckham poses with the players and staff at Inter Miami during a photoshoot
Beckham speaks to the press as his new franchise get ready for their opening MLS game
And co-owner and club president Beckham maintains he is willing to wait until the summer if he has to to bring in that third star man.
After posing for pictures with players and staff during a media day at Fort Lauderdale, he said, via Miami Herald: ‘I am not disappointed in any way possible because I know this has taken seven years.
‘A lot of you have seen those seven years unfold, there’s been some frustrating times, but someone turned around to me the other day and said: “What would be success for this team and this franchise?” For me, on March 14, when we step onto our stadium in front of our fans, for me, that’s success because I know what it’s taken to get here.
The former England captain talks with goalkeeper Luis Robles on the training ground
Beckham surveys the training complex as he walks along the pitch at Fort Lauderdale
‘We’re Miami, so people are always going to talk about the big-name players, what DPs are we going to bring in? We’re more than happy with the squad of players we’ve got.
‘If we do bring another one or two players in before that, then great, but I think we’re looking toward the summer. This is a long-term project.
‘We’re going to be here for many, many years to come, so that longevity is an important part for us. … I don’t think anyone will be frustrated we don’t have a big-name player for the first game.’
Beckham addresses the media ahead of the opening game against Los Angeles FC on Sunday
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article