Arsenal rounded off their summer transfer business in impressive fashion on deadline day, signing midfielder Thomas Partey from Atletico Madrid in a £45million deal.
The Ghana international provided a significant boost at the end of a window that also saw Willian and Gabriel Magalhaes added to Mikel Arteta’s squad and Dani Ceballos return for a second loan spell from Real Madrid.
Of course, given the delayed start to this season, there are less than three months until the January transfer window opens, with speculation continuing to swirl over potential Arsenal targets.
Here are three of today’s transfer stories concerning Arsenal.
Arsenal to re-open Ozil contract talks
Arsenal will look to re-open talks with first-team outcast Mesut Ozil over ripping up his £350,000-a-week contract, according to the Daily Mail.
The Gunners are said to have approached the German over the past two weeks about reaching an agreement for the final nine months of his deal, but were unsuccessful.
Ozil was on Wednesday omitted from Mikel Arteta’s 25-man Europa League squad, raising major questions over the 31-year-old’s future at the club.
It now appears unlikely that Ozil, who has not played since March, will agree to an early exit from Arsenal before the January transfer window.
The former Real Madrid playmaker now faces the risk of being completely frozen out at the Emirates Stadium over the next three months before leaving the club.
Partey attracted by Xhaka partnership
The prospect of playing alongside Granit Xhaka was a factor in Thomas Partey’s decision to join Arsenal, according to The Athletic.
Partey last year met Francis Cagigao, then Arsenal’s head of international scouting, for a series of lunch meetings to discuss a potential switch to the Emirates Stadium, during which he spoke positively about Xhaka.
Partey is also said to have told Cagigao that while his preference is to play as part of a double-pivot, he is willing to operate as the lone holding midfielder.
The Ghana international will compete with Xhaka, Dani Ceballos and Mohamed Elneny for the central midfield spots under Arteta.
Partey a long-time target – Edu
Arsenal technical director Edu has revealed that the club had been planning a move for Partey for six or seven months.
During an interview with the club’s official website, the Brazilian detailed the in-depth planning that went into securing the 27-year-old’s signature from Atletico Madrid.
"One day I would like to show the fans how we work, or how we worked because if you saw my plan six or seven months ago when I did it with Mikel, Thomas was there already,” he said.
"So you see how many months we had to try to find the right player for the club.
"So many things to do, so many meetings, we had to see how we were going to buy the player, if we had the financial situation to buy the player, the legal process, the financial process, talk to the player, talk to the agent, so there are a lot of things around this but in the end we did it."
*Sign up to the Mirror Football email here for the latest news and transfer gossip.
Source: Read Full Article