Arsenal fined £20,000 after admitting breach of player conduct rules

Arsenal are fined £20,000 by the FA after admitting they breached player conduct rules following Gabriel’s red card during fiery New Year’s Day clash with Manchester City

  • Arsenal were charged by the FA over a breach of their player conduct rules
  • The Gunners admitted their wrongdoing and have now been fined £20,000
  • The incident took place in the 59th minute of Arsenal’s 2-1 defeat to Man City 
  • Defender Gabriel was sent off and Arsenal stars swarmed referee Stuart Atwell 

Arsenal have been issued with a £20,000 fine by the FA after admitting they breached player conduct rules following their feisty Premier League game against Manchester City on New Year’s Day.

Arsenal failed to ensure its players conducted themselves in an orderly fashion during the 59th minute of their clash with City and have subsequently accepted the ‘standard penalty’.   

The incident took place just before the hour mark of the New Year’s Day clash at the Emirates after a frantic five minutes saw City equalise from the penalty spot after a controversial VAR review, before Nathan Ake heroically cleared the ball off the line.

Arsenal have been issued a £20,000 fine after being charged by the FA over player conduct 

Moments later, Arsenal defender Gabriel Magalhaes cynically fouled City striker Gabriel Jesus on the halfway line and referee Stuart Atwell brandished a second yellow card in the Brazilian’s direction, resulting in his sending off. 

Arsenal stars were seen swarming the referee following his decision, with emotions running high in north London. City star Rodri bagged a last-gasp winner to take all three points for the league leaders.

As a result, the FA charged the Gunners with a breach of its rules relating to player conduct and gave Mikel Arteta’s side until Friday to respond. 

Arsenal have since admitted to a breach of FA Rule E20.1 and accepted the ‘standard penalty’. Therefore, the FA have issued the north London club with a £20,000 fine.  

Tempers flared after Arsenal defender Gabriel was sent off on the 59th minute on Saturday

Gunners players surrounded referee Stuart Atwell protesting his decision to send Gabriel off

A statement from the FA read: ‘Arsenal FC has been fined £20,000 after admitting a charge for a breach of FA Rule E20.1 and accepting the standard penalty.

‘The club failed to ensure that its players conducted themselves in an orderly fashion during the 59th minute of its Premier League fixture against Manchester City FC on Saturday [01/01/22].’ 

The Gunners bemoaned their lack of fortune following their heartbreaking defeat by Pep Guardiola’s side, with goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale expressing his frustrations with ‘inconsistent’ refereeing decisions. 

Arsenal were denied a penalty after Ederson appeared to haul down Martin Odegaard, and Ramsdale questioned why Atwell was not advised to consult the pitchside monitor on that incident. 

He told BT Sport: ‘I am basing it on both penalties – the inconsistency of going to the screen, the referee might have ruled it out straight away when he looked at it. But it is the fact he went to look at it.

The hosts were furious after they were denied a penalty for a foul on Martin Odegaard

‘Both in real time he said no penalty, but only gets told to look at one. Theirs was soft for me but he gets told to look and has given it.

‘I am at the other end of the pitch for our penalty shout. The goalkeeper comes out with his foot and he either catches him or the ball. The Bernardo one, he stood him up and it got given. Penalties are penalties, but for us it is getting told to look at the screen.

‘Both penalties, I don’t know why the referee is told to see one and not the other. It is there for a reason, go and use it. The whole point is to help the game out, in real time it didn’t look like one and slow it down on a screen and it is given.’ 

Share this article

Source: Read Full Article