The South Sydney Rabbitohs have released a statement addressing alleged racial abuse directed towards Latrell Mitchell on social media.
Police arrested two men on Friday for allegedly sending the star fullback abusive Instagram messages, charging them with using a carriage service to harass, menace and cause offence.
Around 3.45pm on Friday, Rabbitohs CEO Blake Solly released a statement regarding the alleged incident.
“Racism is absolutely abhorrent and has no place in our game or society in general,” Solly said.
“We fully support Latrell’s decision to refer the abuse to the NSW Police.
“Latrell has shown great courage in taking this position, and I would encourage other NRL players who are subject to abuse of this nature to do the same thing.”
The club will hold a media conference with Mitchell on Monday, at which time the allegations will be addressed further.
Rabbitohs Statement regarding racial vilification of Latrell Mitchell
The alleged perpetrators, aged 22 and 25 and from the NSW mid-north coast, have been released on bail. They will face court next month.
“There is no place for fans like this in our game,” NRL CEO Andrew Abdo said of the incident earlier on Friday.
“Any fan who racially abuses or threatens our players will be referred to police.
“We wholeheartedly support Latrell in reporting this matter. He is a leader in the fight against racism in our community.”
Mitchell is a proud Birrbay and Wiradjuri man.Source:News Corp Australia
Mitchell is serving a four-week suspension from the NRL after fronting the match review committee earlier this week.
The ban will rub him out of key clashes with the Raiders and Storm over the coming month and puts doubt over his chances for selection in the State of Origin series opener.
Source: Read Full Article