F1: Verstappen and Hamilton verbally spar
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
The boss at one of Formula 1’s most famous circuits has reportedly been killed by her own husband in a double murder-suicide. Spa-Francorchamps chief executive Nathalie Maillet was found dead at her home in Gouvy, Belgium, at the weekend.
The 51-year-old is said to have been found with her alleged mistress Ann Lawrence Durviaux by husband Franz Dubois.
He is reported by Le Republicain Lorrain to have caught the pair in the bedroom, when Dubois produced a gun and shot both dead before turning the weapon on himself.
The local public prosecutor confirmed the three bodies were discovered shortly after midnight on Sunday.
They said: “At 00:10, the bodies of two women and one man were discovered by the police in a house in Gouvy, all three presenting gunshot wounds.
“According to our information, the male individual voluntarily used his firearm to kill both women, including his wife, before killing himself.”
DON’T MISS: Lewis Hamilton’s ‘great authority and power’ backed to sway Mercedes
Gouvy mayor Veronique Leonard said she had been made aware of what had happened around two hours after the bodies were discovered.
Maillet had been in charge of the famous Spa circuit since 2016.
The track will host the first F1 race after the mid-season break at the end of August.
Chair of the board of directors at Spa-Francorchamps Melchior Wathelet paid tribute to “a very great lady”.
He said: “My thoughts are with Nathalie’s family, her parents, her relatives but also her teams.
George Russell and Valtteri Bottas have more options [NEWS]
Lewis Hamilton ultimatum issued by Jenson Button at McLaren [NEWS]
Wolff accepts Mercedes ‘let Bottas down’ amid contract speculation [NEWS]
“I know how this news will upset her staff and I wish on behalf of the entire board of directors to offer my sincere condolences to the entire circuit team.
“Today we are losing a very great lady, a motorsports lover and enthusiast, a true leader who will be sorely missed. Nathalie had become the face of the circuit, she embodied this passion for racing that we all share.”
The Spa-Francorchamps circuit is currently in the midst of a major modernisation project – which had been spearheaded by Maillet.
She was killed the night before the circuit hosted part of the Ypres Rally.
Pierre Fillon, president of the Automobile Club de l’Ouest, which organises the famous Le Mans 24-hour endurance race, said: “We are particularly shocked and upset by this news. We were in regular contact over the past few years, in particular in relation to the FIA World Endurance Championship.
“Nathalie was passionate about motorsport and spared no effort in defending our causes. On behalf of the ACO, I extend our heartfelt condolences to her friends and family and to the staff of Spa-Francorchamps. They can count on our support in this difficult time.”
The police investigation into the shooting continues with police forensics working at the scene.
Source: Read Full Article