Tyson Fury responds to next fight and retirement questions after blitzing Deontay Wilder

Tyson Fury appears fresh and unscathed backstage

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Tyson Fury has kept his cards close to his chest when asked what’s next for him after beating Deontay Wilder in Las Vegas on Sunday morning. The Brit had to dig deep to emerge victorious. But, after 11 epic rounds, he finally reigned supreme.

Fury was forced to climb off the canvas twice in the 11-round thriller at the MGM Grand Arena.

He fell twice in the fourth round of the contest but was able to bounce back, eventually winning in the 11th round.

Fury had previously floored his opponent in the third and 10th rounds respectively but it was only towards the end where he was able to produce the biggest fight of the contest.

It was a massive fight that lived up to, and arguably surpassed, all expectations.

And Fury has now responded after being asked what’s next for him.

“We will see,” he said.

THINK YOU KNOW SPORT? Test your sporting knowledge with our tricky quiz

“I have just earned a well-earned break from everything.

“Before I start thinking about fighting other men I will bask in this victory. This tonight was one of my greatest wins.

“I got off the floor to do it. I am the big dog in the division.”

Fury will now be ordered to defend his WBC heavyweight world title against Dillian Whyte, permitting the Body Snatcher avoids a potential banana skin against Otto Wallin in London later this month.

Victory is no given for Whyte, who was on the receiving end of a shock upset against Alexander Povetkin in August 2020, after the Swede pushed Fury all the during their Las Vegas showdown in 2019.

Anthony Joshua has also triggered his rematch clause with Oleksandr Usyk, as he looks to win back his belts from the Ukrainian next spring.

It means any undisputed fight will have to wait until next year as Fury prepares to lock horns with Whyte, permitting he prevails versus Wallin and the pair have already exchanged words on social media on plenty of occasions.

The Gypsy King was also quizzed on potential retirement, and insisted his mind was no longer on boxing for the time being.

“Do you know what? I am going to go out and have a couple of drinks and relax,” he said.

“I am not even thinking about boxing.

“This has been a well earned victory and I will enjoy it.”

At the end of the contest, Wilder declined the chance to give Fury respect following his defeat.

And the Gypsy King has criticised the Bronze Bomber for his actions, insisting it would have been the right thing to do.

Fury told BT Sport: “I just said to him ‘well done’ and he said ‘I don’t want to show any sportsmanship or respect.’

“I just said ‘no problem.’

“He’s a sore loser and idiot. Do you know what, to be a top fighting man you’ve got to show guts and respect.

“He couldn’t do that tonight and that was it. 100 per cent [would have been nice for him to say well done] but it’s up to him.

“I’m just thankful, we get out of the fight in one piece and we go home to our lovely families.”

Fury is now adamant he is the greatest heavyweight of the modern era as he claimed his second victory over Wilder.

He added: “I’m now the greatest heavyweight of my era, without a doubt. No.1, numero uno. Look what I’ve done.

“I’ve came to America my last six fights and fought the most devastating puncher in the history of our sport.

“Not once, not twice, but three times. Danger, danger man.

“I was made for this s**t. Made for it. Proved time and time again, that I can never be written off.

“I can never be beat until I’m down and out.

“I didn’t have my best performance, but I pulled it out of the bag when it needed to be done.”

Source: Read Full Article