Tyson and Paris Fury show off their dinner on Instagram
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Tyson Fury is set to land the vast majority of the purse share for his upcoming title fight with Dillian Whyte. The Gypsy King has been ordered to take on his fellow Briton while he waits for the rematch between Anthony Joshua and Oleksandr Usyk, so he can then bid to become undisputed heavyweight champion.
Fury’s team was given 30 days to strike a deal with Usyk after he took AJ’s titles, but the Ukrainian had his hands tied by a rematch clause which Joshua activated.
The WBC then ordered Fury to face its mandatory challenges Whyte, setting up an exciting all-British fight for a world heavyweight crown.
But even that meeting looked set to be delayed with both sides said to be miles apart in terms of what they wanted for purse splits.
Whyte was said to want 45% of the purse, while Fury’s team were not willing to give him more than 20%.
And it seems the champion has got his way, as the Daily Star reports the WBC has agreed that the defending champion should take home four-fifths of the purse.
JUST IN: Tyson Fury may face Joshua conqueror Andy Ruiz Jr but not for WBC belt
The governing body informed both fighters and their respective camps on Thursday.
Being given such a small portion of the proceeds from what should be a PPV blockbuster will be a large financial blow for Whyte.
But the good news is he will no longer be tied up in arbitration until March, as had previously been expected.
That means Fury will no longer have to seek out an interim opponent for the spring, and the bout between the pair can go ahead in three months’ time.
Jake Paul names Tyson Fury and Floyd Mayweather on boxing wishlist
Tyson Fury net worth: Just how much has Fury made from boxing?
Tyson Fury accused BBC of ‘taking away rights’ with SPOTY nomination
Unless a deal is struck between the two parties in the next two weeks, the fight will go to purse bids on January 11.
If that happens, any promoter can put in an offer to stage the fight in a blind bidding process, with the highest bidder earning the right to stage the bout.
Given they have less than two weeks to strike a deal away from that process, purse bids seems the likely outcome as both camps have so far been unwilling to compromise in negotiations.
If Frank Warren, Fury’s UK promoter, is the one who gets his way, the all-British fight is likely to take place on home shores.
His US colleague Bob Arum wants Fury to continue to fight in Las Vegas, but Warren would rather stage this particular bout at Cardiff’s Principality Stadium or Manchester Arena.
The latter would most likely be particularly appealing to Wythenshawe-born Fury, who would be fighting in front of a crowd largely made up of people from his home town.
No matter who wins the bid, Fury’s bout with Whyte is all but set in stone now following the WBC’s purse split confirmation.
They look set to fight in March, with the victor having the chance to strike a deal to take on the winner of the rematch between Usyk and Joshua.
Source: Read Full Article