Deontay Wilder calls for Tyson Fury trilogy this year as December fight date eyed

Deontay Wilder is refusing to give up on fighting Tyson Fury before the end of the year, despite the WBC heavyweight champion putting plans in place to defend the belt in London in December.

Wilder has remained out of the public eye since his defeat against Fury earlier this year.

The American was stopped in the seventh round of their second meeting in February after being put down twice in the bout.

That was Wilder’s first professional defeat, having won all-but-one of his fights by stoppage previously.

The former champion was quick to point the finger elsewhere as he placed the blame on his ring-walk outfit before confirming he was carrying an injury into the bout.

JUST IN: Chelsea plotting Paulo Dybala transfer bid as Juventus consider selling ex-Man Utd target

Wilder immediately declared that he wanted to exercise his rematch clause in the contract, saying he wanted a trilogy fight as soon as possible.

The coronavirus pandemic halted plans for a while, given it seems unlikely fans would be allowed in to watch the fight any time soon.

Wilder is continuing to recover from surgery on his shoulder, and it was reported this week that Fury’s team had walked away from negotiations for a third bout, claiming the timings wouldn’t match up.

Fury’s promoter, Bob Arum, confirmed that the rematch clause expired earlier this month, and that the third fight would not happen as a result.

DON’T MISS
Chelsea star Kai Havertz compared to Liverpool ace Roberto Firmino in Lampard prediction
Gareth Bale urges Tottenham boss Jose Mourinho to sanction transfer before Friday
Man Utd squad have a ‘feeling’ Ole Gunnar Solskjaer could be sacked but Glazers have view

But now, Wilder’s promoter Shelly Finkle has insisted he is refusing to give up on the chance of making the fight for later this year.

Finkle told ESPN: “Deontay and I would like to have the next fight, as planned, against Fury.

“We’ll fight him any date, any place.”

Arum disagreed, however, and declared that the fight won’t happen this year due to Fury’s desire to remain active.

Get NOW TV Sky Sports season pass and save 25 percent

“We couldn’t get an appropriate date, until it was next year,” he said.

“Tyson said, ‘No, I want to fight in December,’ and so that’s what we arranged in England.

“We had a contract (with Wilder), but it expired.”

Fury’s team will now look for a suitable opponent for the proposed December 5th card, with a rematch against Swedish Otto Wallin possible following their surprise thriller last year.

This article contains affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission on any sales of products or services we write about. This article was written completely independently, see more details here

Source: Read Full Article