Violent basketball star chases referee around the court after being red carded

A basketball player reacted to being red-carded by chasing the ref round the court in this appalling act of violence which has become the latest example of yobbish behaviour in South American sport.

Jose Luis Pappalardi went for official Andres Alvarez shortly after being given his marching orders.

Shocking footage showed the ref sprinting as the player pursued him in front of astonished teammates and jumping over advertising boards in the direction of the changing rooms.

Pappalardi, who was representing Gimnasia de Chivilcoy in their game against Platense de La Plata, is thought to have been intercepted before he caught up with Alvarez.

Several members of the crowd joined teammates in attempting to stop the angry giant as he followed the referee into the changing rooms and commentators yelled: “This needs to be stopped.”

Pappalardi’s team was losing 54-46 when he appeared in camera shot from the sidelines as the referee saw him coming and began to retreat before breaking into a sprint.

The game was suspended following the ugly incident and a Buenos Aires province basketball federation disciplinary committee is now studying how to punish Pappalardi for his violent outburst.

Sunday’s incident happened 24 hours after a player punched a referee to the ground in another basketball match in the northern Argentinian city of Reconquista.

The game between Adelante and Centro Recreativo Calchaqui was also suspended after player Renzo Mustazza assaulted Raul Olivero after being sanctioned for smashing an object on the subs’ bench.

What do you think of the incident? Let us know in the comments section

Late last month an Argentinian football manager was shot in the shoulder during a gun fight in the middle of a game.

Players from both sides were filmed fleeing the pitch after Mauricio Romero was hit with the bullet.

He was treated at the scene before being taken to hospital where he is said to be “doing well and out of danger".

The shock incident happened towards the end of a third-tier match between home side Huracan las Heras and Ferro Carril Oeste in Las Heras in the western Argentinian province of Mendoza.

Witnesses said the shooting started outside the stadium but continued inside as hooligan home fans tried to force their way into the ground.

Don't miss a thing with our football updates!

Want to be on the ball with all of the latest football news?

Well then sign up for the brilliant Daily Star football email newsletter!

From the latest transfer news to the agenda-setting stories, get it all in your email inbox – don't miss a thing.

How do you sign up?

It only takes a matter of seconds.

Simply type your email address into the box at the top of this article and hit 'subscribe'.

And that's it, job done. You'll receive an email with all of the top news stories every single morning.

You can find out more information on our email newsletter on this link here.

Families watching from the stands threw themselves to the ground as the gunshots rang out.

Footage of the moment away side head coach Romero, wearing a yellow reflective jacket, was shot showed him grabbing his left shoulder as he disappeared out of camera shot and players ducked down before sprinting towards the changing rooms along with match officials.

The injured man’s club confirmed in a statement after the scare, which led to the match being called off with ten minutes to play: “Mauricio Romero suffered a gunshot wound to his left shoulder but he is doing okay and out of danger.”

Thankfully no-one was injured in the incident in Macae in Rio de Janeiro state between Serra Macaense and Carapebus.

In August a referee was filmed restoring order after a controversial penalty decision in the western Honduran town of La Jigua by pulling out a gun.

Local reports at the time said the unnamed ref brandished the pistol to protect himself from angry supporters who thought he should have awarded their side a penalty.

A relative is said to have handed him the weapon at the end of the match as he was jeered by the furious fans.

Shots could be heard during the home-made video, although it was unclear where they had come from.

One supporter was overheard insulting the ref by calling him a son of a b**ch, although he appeared to make a wise decision by staying in the stands.There were no reports of any injuries as a result of the standoff.

Earlier the same month three people were killed and one injured during a firefight at a football match in the Mexican state of Guanajuato.

The shocking incident occurred during the second half of an amateur match between Santa Ana del Conde and Zona Piel.

A lone gunman armed with an AK-47 rifle, who fled the scene in a white car, is said to have responsible.

Source: Read Full Article